I continue to explore the kumara (sweet potato) in my culinary journey. I absolutely love this vegetable and so excited to share this new recipe with you.
Warm up this winter with a nourishing jacket sweet potato topped with smoky crispy chickpeas and delicious Super Super Kraut packed with cabbage, kale, wakame seaweed full of super vitamins, minerals and probiotics.
The soft sweetness of kumara pairs well with smoky flavors of chickpeas and tangy Sauer kraut. Jacket sweet potato is so soft and buttery when baked in the foil. Most of the heat is contained within the sweet potato and it also cooks the outsides of the potato. All you need is to wrap the potatoes in foil, throw it in the oven and forget about it for about 45 minutes.
Kumara or sweet potato is budget vegetable available in any supermarket. It`s a surprisingly nutritious food:
- Great source of antioxidants
- Especially high in vitamins A, C, E, and B6 and manganese
- Easier to digest than potatoes, because sweet potato contains more dietary fiber and less starch.
- 2 Large Golden Kumara (sweet potato), scrubbed
- 1 Can of chickpea (Organic Chickpea from Ceres is my fav), drained
- 1 Tbsp of Grapeseed oil
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp turmeric powder
- Pinch of coriander powder
- Sea salt
+ Cooking Foil
- Cup of Super Super Kraut from Living Goodness
- Green salad
- Snow pea shoots
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Prick the potatoes in several places using tines of a fork, wrap in the foil and bake for about 45 mins until soft.
- Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with baking paper and set aside. Place chickpea on a paper towel, removing excess moisture. By the way, canned chickpeas liquid known as Aquafaba is a great substitute for egg white. Keep it for vegan Pavlova cake or for chocolate pudding.
- In a mixing bowl drizzle the chickpea with 1 Tbs of oil, sprinkle with a pinch of salt, smoked paprika, turmeric, cinnamon, cayenne powder and coriander powder. Toss chickpea with a spoon to make sure they are coated. Transfer to the baking sheet and spread them out in a single layer. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown, checking and giving them a stir halfway through.
- Using a small, sharp knife, make a slit along the top of each sweet potato. Gently squeeze the potato to open it up, then fill with chickpea and delicious sauer kraut. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, garnish with snow pea shoots. Serve with a green salad. Enjoy!