Our family’s all-time favourite Carrot Cake. A moist and flavourful, loaded with grated carrots, dried fruits and nuts. The blackstrap molasses works so well here. It gives a super moist texture and makes the taste richer.
The sour cream frosting is a tangy, light and airy. This time I decided to skip the butter. The sour cream will thick and perfectly suits for whipping after you drain the whey. I used the same method which I usually use for homemade labneh cheese.
You could decorate the carrot cake in different ways. There is a huge field for inspiration.
Carrot Cake with Sour Cream Frosting. Gluten-free recipe.Course: DessertCuisine: modern, classicDifficulty: Medium
Our family’s all-time favourite Carrot Cake. A moist and flavourful, loaded with grated carrots, dried fruits and nuts. Blackstrap molasses works so well here. It gives a super moist texture and makes the taste richer.
Cake 20cm diameter
240 g grated carrots
180 ml grapeseed oil
4 Tbs brown rice syrup
2 Tbs black Strap molasses
2 big egg (size 7), at room temperature
140 g brown rice flour
60 g coconut flour
40 g almond flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbs mix of cinnamon powder, ginger powder and cardamom powder (1 teaspoon cardamom powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder, 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder)
100 g chopped dried apricots
40 g dried currants
40 g chopped pecan nuts or walnuts
- Sour cream icing:
400g thick sour cream
1/2 powdered powder
toasted chopped walnuts and baby carrots for decoration.
Additionally: 3 x sandwich tins, greased with oil (I use canola cooking spray) and dusted with flour
- Preheat the oven up to 180C or 160C fan bake.
- Place maple syrup, blackstrap molasses, oil, and egg in a bowl and beat together with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth and thickened. Sift over brown rice flour, coconut and almond flour, baking powder, baking soda and mixed spice then fold in until well mixed. Fold in the carrots, nuts, apricots and currants.
- Divide the mixture between three prepared cake tins. Bake in the middle of the oven for 25-30mins or until golden, risen and the middle bounces back when lightly pressed. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For sour cream icing. Place sour cream into a colander lined with cheesecloth. Place the colander over a big bowl, set in the fridge and leave for a few hours. Drain the whey for a thicker sour cream.
Combine the sour cream and the powdered sugar. Mix well using a whisk until it is smooth.
- When the cakes are completely cool, place 1 cake layer on your cake stand or serving plate. Evenly cover the top with frosting. Top with 2nd layer, more frosting, and then top with the 3rd layer. Spread remaining frosting all over the top and sides. Decorate the cake with chopped walnuts and carrots. Cover with a cake dome and refrigerate. Serve the cake cold or at room temperature. Enjoy!