Nutritious and delicious winter soup. This low carb chicken soup is packed with green vegetables and chicken meatballs, and Asians flavours. Add a little restaurant-style twist to this dish. Maillard reaction makes this soup is absolutely delicious.
If you still can’t imagine your meal without carbs, a healthy soba noodle perfectly suits in this dish.
Chicken Meatballs and Green Vegetables in Flavourful BrothCourse: Japanese Food, Main Course, SoupsCuisine: Asian, Japanese, FusionDifficulty: Easy
This low carb chicken soup is packed with green vegetables and chicken meatballs, and Asians flavours.
- Chicken meatballs
400g chicken mince
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 spring onions, white part only, finely sliced
2 teaspoons ginger paste (finely grated ginger)
pinch of shichimi togarashi seasoning (or just chilli powder)
1/4 cup Panko crumbs
- For soup:
1 L rich chicken broth
3 broccolini, cut into halves
small bunch of kale or cavolo nero, washed and drained, stems removed
a few slices of ginger
1 head of garlic, unpeeled, cut in half horizontally
shichimi togarashi seasoning
- In a mixing bowl mix together the chicken mince, salt, seasoning, spring onion, ginger and egg. Add the Panko crumbs and mix it thoroughly.
- Preheat the oven up to 200C.
- Preheat a non-stick pan with a little cooking oil. Form 9 chicken meatballs using your wet hands. Cook on medium heat, flipping occasionally until meatballs are golden brown on both sides. Then transfer to a baking tray. Bake in preheated oven for about 5-7 minutes.
Alternatively, you can cook it without oven. Just close the pan with a tight-fitting lid and cook the meatballs on low heat, flipping occasionally for about 5-7 minutes, until meatballs are fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, combine chicken broth, ginger and garlic in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook for about 5 minutes on low heat. Add broccolini and kale, cook for a few minutes until broccolini is tender but still bright green.
Discard ginger slices and garlic. Season the soup with salt.
- Pour the soup into bowls, arrange 3 chicken meatball into each bowl. Serve hot with a touch of shichimi togarashi seasoning.
- Tip: How to save the beautiful green colour of the vegetables? It’s simple: you have to reduce cooking time in order to preserve the colour.