Porridge is the best thing about living in a cold climate, it’s the ultimate bowl of warm and healthy goodness! This strawberry rhubarb oatmeal packed with superfood is the perfect way to start your winter day.
I combined all my favorite superfoods in this recipe – nutrient-packed chia seeds, rich in fiber old-fashioned rolled oats, high in protein quinoa and nutritious coconut milk high in fiber and vitamins.
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup white quinoa, rinse thoroughly with cool water
- 2 Tbs chia seeds
- 4-5 cups water
- pinch of salt
For strawberry rhubarb compote:
- 2 cups diced strawberries (or frozen strawberries)
- 2 cups peeled and diced rhubarb
- 1/2 cup light syrup ( I used rice syrup) or sugar
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- Place the oats, quinoa, chia and water in a medium saucepan over a low medium heat. Add a pinch of salt and stir well. Bring to a steady simmer for 15 minutes, stirring as often as you can to give you a smooth creamy porridge – if you like your porridge runny, simply add more water until you’ve got the consistency you like.
- Place rhubarb, strawberries, and syrup (sugar) in the frying pan and mix so that the sugar is dissolving evenly. Halve the vanilla pod lengthways and scrape out the seeds, then add both pod and seeds to the dish. Close the lid and gently simmer until rhubarb is soft (around 5 minutes). Open the lid and reduce the amount of liquid on high heat until it turns slightly thick and syrupy. Discard the vanilla pod.
- Divide the oatmeal between bowls, pour the cream and compote over. Serve hot. Enjoy!