Continuing my previous pasta posts. Three my fave pasta recipes that I never shared before: Butternut Squash, Caramelised Onion and Sage Gnocchi Sardi. and Orecchiette with Broccoli and Sausages.
Recipe Number 3: Bucatini with anchovy, parsley and sourdough bread crispy crumbs
For those who know that sourdough bread, anchovy, butter and parsley are always a winning combo. Quick and easy pasta recipe which you will want to cook again and again. No special ingredients required, but a good quality bucatini is must. Bucatini are a thick spaghetti-like pasta with a hole running through the center. They are common throughout Lazio, particularly Rome. Bucatini gets coated and filled with sauce, it makes them special. That hollow center gives you more sauce with each bite.
Bucatini with Anchovy, Parsley and Sourdough Bread Crispy CrumbsCourse: Fish, Main Course, PastesCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
For those who know that sourdough bread, anchovy, butter and parsley are always a winning combo. Quick and easy pasta recipe which you will want to cook again and again.
300g bucatini pasta
4 garlic cloves
1 cup sourdough bread crumbs (stale sourdough bread blitzed in food processor)
3-4 canned anchovies
2 tbs butter
lemon zest and juice to taste
chopped Italian parsley
pinch of peperoncino
grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring to a boil a large pot of water (4L). Add a good handful of salt. Water has to be salty as sea water. Add pasta, give it a good stir to prevent sticking. Cook pasta until al dente. Reserve a cup of pasta water.
- Meanwhile, preheat sauté pan, add two tablespoons of olive oil and one halved clove of garlic (cut side down). Cook garlic until golden brown then discard. Add the sourdough crumbs to garlic oil and cook stirring occasionally until bread crumbs are golden and crispy, season with salt and pepper. Transfer bread crumbs to bowl and set aside.
- Add another two tablespoons of olive oil to pan. Then add chopped garlic and cook until golden and aromatic. Add anchovies and peperoncino, mash anchovies with fork, cook for one minute.
- Transfer the pasta to anchovy garlic oil, add lemon zest, drizzle with lemon juice, add butter and a good splash of pasta water. Toss the pasta gently by tongs using circular motion until butter, oil and pasta water create velvety pasta sauce. Add more pasta water to make the dish saucy.
- Divide the pasta between bowls. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, garlicky crumbs and grated cheese generously. Enjoy!