Sticky cinnamon apples and fluffy Dutch baby combine to make this heavenly breakfast. A light fluffy Dutch baby also known as German pancake is simply a cross between pancake and Yorkshire pudding cooked in the oven!
Learn how to make this quick and easy delicious breakfast treat and my family’s favourite brunch.
Cinnamon Apple Dutch BabyCourse: Baking, Breakfast, DessertsCuisine: Classic, European, GermanDifficulty: Easy
Sticky cinnamon apples and fluffy Dutch baby combine to make this heavenly breakfast.
3 Large room temperature eggs
2/3 Cup lukewarm milk
1/2 cup all purpose flour
Pinch of cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 Tbsp ghee butter, melted
- Cinnamon apples:
2 -3 apples, peeled and cored, chopped
2 Tbs coconut sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup dried black currants
1/2 Tbs Ghee butter
- To serve:
melted Ghee butter
- Preheat oven up to 220C (425F).
- Cinnamon apples: In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add chopped apples, sugar and two tablespoons of water. Cook until all liquid evaporated, then reduce heat to medium, add ghee butter, cinnamon and dried black currants. Cook until apples are browned, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients for Dutch baby except ghee butter in the blender. Mix until a very smooth texture and no lumps. The batter may also be mixed by hand.
- Preheat 25cm (10 inches) cast iron skillet on low to medium heat about 5 minutes. I recommend using cast iron skillet for this recipe. It allows you to get gentler, more radiant heat in the oven and this works great for Dutch baby crust. Stainless steel frying pan is also suitable here, this is absolutely safe for the oven. Please be sure that no plastic parts there.
- Add melted butter to the skillet (watch it so it does not burn), then add the batter to the pan. Arrange caramelized apples on top, spreading them evenly. Transfer to the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the pancake is puffed and golden brown.
- Remove the pancake from oven. Drizzle with melted butter. Sprinkle with icing sugar. Cut into slices and serve immediately.