I just returned home from my trip to Italy and can’t wait to share something yummy with you. Zucchini Alla Scapece with Lemon Ricotta is a quick and easy appetiser dish which is amazing start of the meal. Sweet and tender zucchini cut into coins, lightly fried in garlic infused olive oil and then marinated with vinegar and refreshing mint. The marinated zucchini is best served on a bed of whipped lemon ricotta. You can also serve it on a sourdough toast or focaccia.
Zucchini with mint and vinegar (zucchine alla scapece) are typical of Campania cuisine. The term scapece is believed to be related to the Spanish word escabeche – which means pickled or marinated.
Zucchini alla scapece with lemon ricotta, Strawberry and Tomato Panzanella Salad, and ricotta stuffed peppers will be a such a great addition for any festive table.
Zucchini Alla Scapece with Lemon Ricotta.Course: Appetizers, Gluten Free, Salads, VegetarianCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
3 medium zucchini, ends trimmed
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 Tbs white wine vinegar
handful fresh mint leaves, chopped
olive oil for frying
1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
toasted pistachio nuts, chopped
fresh mint leaves to garnish
grated lemon zest to garnish
- Cut zucchini into coins, sprinkle with salt generously and place into a colander set over a bowl for about 20 minutes to remove any excess liquid from the vegetables and make the texture more pleasant.
- Rinse the zucchini to remove the salt then pat dry with a paper towel.
Preheat a large frying pan, add olive oil and sliced garlic. Remove and set aside the garlic when it’s a golden brown then add the zucchini in one layer and cook until golden flipping time to time. Repeat the process with the remaining zucchini.
- In a mixing bowl combine fried zucchini, garlic, vinegar and chopped mint. Season with salt and black pepper, toss gently. Refrigerate for a few hour before serving.
- For the lemon ricotta, combine ricotta and lemon zest in a bowl. Season with salt and black pepper. Drizzle with some lemon juice. Mix well and keep in a refrigerator.
- Serve marinated zucchini chilled on a bad of lemon ricotta spreaded on a serving platter. Garnish with chopped roasted pistachious, lemon zest and mint leaves. Enjoy!