Recently I did a cooking class for my friends. I made this cake and everyone loved it, it was gone in minutes. I’m happy to share this recipe with you.
Living in a crazy big city pace, I really appreciate a simple dish that can be done quickly and nourish your body and soul the best. Like this simple but absolutely delicious cake. I usually prepare this cake same time when I make a dinner for my family. I like to have a piece of this fragrant citrus cake for breakfast with a cup of coffee. Sweet treats go so well in the morning time, they help you to wake up easily. And you can enjoy them it without guilt, you’ll have the opportunity to burn off the calories throughout the day.
I hope you will enjoy this Italian-style lemon cake with a twist. Meyer lemon syrup glaze is so aromatic, it adds an intense lemony tang to the cake. This lemon cake has a super moist and fluffy texture, thanks to olive oil and the addition of almond flour.
Meyer lemon is a hybrid citrus fruit native to China. It is a cross between a citron and a mandarin/pomelo hybrid. Meyer lemons are rounder, smoother, and more orange in colour than standard lemons. They are very popular in New Zealand, Meyer lemons are so aromatic, sweet, tangy and tasty here. Almost every of my neighbours have a Meyer lemon tree in their garden because they are so easy to grow and crop. And we all need the kick of Vitamin C during the colder seasons.
Meyer Lemon Syrup, Almond and Olive Oil CakeCourse: Baking, DessertsCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
Italian-style lemon cake with a twist. Meyer lemon syrup is so aromatic, it adds an intense lemony tang to the cake. This lemon cake has a super moist and fluffy texture, thanks to olive oil and adding of almond flour.
1 cup unbleached plain flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup plain low fat Greek yoghurt (or coconut yoghurt for dairy-free version of the cake)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
juice and zest of 1 Meyer lemon (I use organic and unwaxed Meyer lemons)
- For lemon syrup:
1/4 cup sugar
2-4 Tbs Meyer lemon juice
zest of 1/2 Meyer lemon
- Pre-heat the oven to 180С (350F).
- For the lemon syrup combine the sugar, lemon zest and juice in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Add more lemon juice if you prefer a more tangy flavour. Cook until the syrup is thickened slightly. Strain and chill the syrup. Set aside.
- Coat the bottom and side of a 20cm springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place circle from a baking paper on the bottom of the pan.
- In a large bowl whisk the flour, almond meal, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl combine the oil, egg, yoghurt, vanilla extract, sugar, lemon juice and zest. Mix well using a wooden spoon. Add the wet to the dry whisking until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.Bake for about 60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Let it cool for at least 7 minutes before you remove the ring.
- Brush the cake with the lemon syrup. Chill the cake completely before cutting. Enjoy!