Flavorful and hearty veggie patty between the firm and juicy giant Portobello caps. Bye, bye dry and heavy buns. Hello, light, luscious meal perfectly suited for summer.
The secret of this ultra-satisfying burger in lots of layers with different tastes and textures. Serve it with kumara wedges to make it more substantial.
Portobello Mushrooms can be eaten raw. But the taste will be richer if you cook them on a dry frying pan a couple of minutes
for 4 Burgers Patties
- 250 g (1/2 lb) Peeled and cooked beetroot. Cut into cubes
- 1 Cup Cooked quinoa
- 1/2 Cup of adzuki beans or black beans, cooked or canned
- 2 Tbsp Sunflowers seeds
- 3 Prunes
- 1/3 Cup chopped sun dried tomatoes, oil removed
- 1 Tbsp Tahini
- 1/2 Tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 Cup chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp of brown rice flour
- Sprig of basil
- Black pepper
- 8 Portobello mushrooms big size as possible
- 1 Ripe avocado, peeled and pitted. Mashed with pinch of salt
- 2 Big ripe tomato, sliced
- 4 Baby cos lettuce leaves, washed and drained
- 1/2 Sweet red onion, cut into rounds
- 1/2 Cup of cashew mayo or your fav mayo
- Tabasco sauce
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan bake/ 350F
- Combine all ingredients for patties except quinoa in the food processor and blend until everything is mixed well, but the texture is still a little chunky and not totally smooth.
- Add cooked quinoa and mix well. Divide mix into 4 parts and roll into patties using your hands. Keep your hands are damp. It helps to prevent sticking.
- Place burger patties on the tray lined with baking paper. Slightly coat the surface of the patties using cooking oil spray. Bake them for 30 minutes until outside is nice and crispy.
- For Portobello “buns”. Clean the surface of the mushrooms with a damp cloth, but don’t wash it. Remove the stems. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Place mushrooms on the skillet top down. Cook about 2 minutes then flips and cook another 2 minutes. Remove mushrooms from the skillet before they start to release their juices.
- Serve patties on Portobello buns. Spread some mayo on both sides of mushrooms. I like to start with the burger patty, followed by the baby cos, tomato, mashed avocado, few drops of Tabasco, onion then finally the top of the mushroom. Now it’s time to enjoy the best burger of your life!
Tip: Grab cooked packed beetroot from your supermarket and save your time.